Relief at Long Last

One look around the neighborhood was all it took to see the toll high temperatures and lack of rain had taken on the landscape. Despite best efforts, the lush green grass had become dry and brittle. Beautiful gardens dried up. So when the first rumble was heard in the distance, people started to emerge from their air-conditioned sanctuaries to witness the first drops of rain in weeks. The drops quickly turned into sheets of rain. Puddles began to form and in the blink of an eye the rain turned the road into a river. Young and old alike danced in the rain and squealed with delight. Relief!

This is my second attempt at the 100 word challenge for grown-ups. If you'd like to give it a try, check it out here...100WCGU.

10 comments:

  1. Lovely. Can only imagine what that feels like as we battle with just the opposite in the UK - rain, rain, rain every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good, I can see it happening so it really works well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. we actually DID go dance in the light rain a few weeks ago! My children were delighted with it...lightening and all. nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Air-conditioned sanctuaries" makes me wistful. I could use one in my neck of the woods.
    I can certainly see why they'd dance in the streets, but I'd think that the road becoming a river so soon would put a little fear into them. In another moment perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you got there before i did! Yes a little too soon to be dancing, if the road was a river! But can picture the scene vividly.

      Delete
  5. I've had a couple of those days where I used to live. It is wonderful, and the smell of the earth is amazing as the big drops fall.
    Good
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great feeling of relief, beautifully caught.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like the summer here! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, the joys of summer. Wonderful use of the prompt!

    ReplyDelete